Turmeric for Skin Whitening and Other Beauty Benefits
In this beauty-conscious world we live in, many people, young women especially, try to do everything they can to improve their looks. A lot want whiter skin, and many people prefer using natural ways and means in achieving that. Luckily, using turmeric for skin whitening is a very effective method.
All of us are born with different skin tones. That’s a fact. This is because of the melanin presence in the epidermis, or top layer, of the skin. If there’s more melanin in the skin, the darker the skin tone will be.
However, even if you are naturally light-skinned, outside factors can trigger an increase in melanin production. Some of these factors include too much sun exposure, pollution, an unhealthy diet, stress, hectic lifestyles, and many others.
To counter the darkening of the skin, there are many companies out there that offer many products that guarantee whiter skin in weeks. Unfortunately, most of these products use harmful chemicals that do more harm than good. For example, in the long run, these chemicals might lead to cancer and other debilitating diseases. That’s why using natural products, like turmeric for skin whitening, is safer and can work as effectively.
How It Works: Turmeric for Skin Whitening
So how does turmeric work its magic in making the skin look more youthful and beautiful? Read on to find out.
Reduces Melanin Production
Turmeric has a powerful compound called curcumin. This is responsible for most, if not all, of the wonderful benefits turmeric can provide the entire human body. With regard to skin whitening, curcumin effectively resolves hyperpigmentation as well as melanin production.
When outside factors cause an increase in melanin production, the ACTH hormone is secreted by the pituitary gland. This hormone supports MC1R, and this is one of the proteins that stimulate melanin production.
What curcumin in turmeric does is it restricts the ACTH hormone. This then reduces hyperpigmentation and thus lightens the skin.
Fights Against Aging
Turmeric possesses antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help counteract skin aging. According to several studies, face products that make use of turmeric show significant results in minimizing fine lines, wrinkles, dark spots, crow’s feet, laugh lines, and changes in skin pigment.
Protects Against Sun Damage
Another way to use turmeric for skin whitening is it can help with damage from the sun. Too much exposure to UVB causes wrinkles, skin thickening, larger blood vessels, changes in skin pigmentation, and loss of elasticity. Luckily, turmeric effectively protects the skin from the harmful effects of ultraviolet B radiation.
Sun radiation increases the production of matrix metalloproteinase-2. This is an enzyme that lessens the collagen content between the outer and middle layer of the skin. Turmeric inhibits the increase of MMP-2, which then prevents damage to skin from the sun.
Remedies Oily Skin
Turmeric contains phytosterols and fatty acids, which reduces oil production in the skin. One study shows that after just four weeks of treatment with turmeric, which was applied topically twice a day, there was a significant decrease in skin oils. And in over a period of three months, this turmeric cream reduced facial oil by nearly 25 percent.
Treats Many Skin Conditions
The curcumin in turmeric has antibacterial properties, which deals with the bacteria that causes acne. Curcumin is also effective in reducing the symptoms of many chronic skin diseases. These include rosacea, eczema, psoriasis, and many more.
Turmeric for Skin Whitening Recipes
There are numerous ways you can use turmeric to improve your skin. You can make homemade pastes, masks, etc. When you do, keep in mind that turmeric stains easily. As much as possible, try not to get it on your clothes or anywhere else. And when you apply the mixture to your face, make sure to wear old clothes. Also, use an old towel to dry your face after doing the treatment.
Turmeric and Milk
- Combine ½ teaspoon of turmeric with 1 teaspoon of milk.
- With your fingers or a facial brush, apply an even layer all over the skin.
- Let the mixture rest for about 1 hour.
- After an hour, rinse well with lukewarm water.
- If there are areas that are still yellow, dip a clean cotton ball in pure milk and gently rub over the affected areas. Do this for a few minutes, then rinse off.
- It’s best to do this treatment 3 times a week to get the results you want.
Turmeric and Lemon
This is a great treatment of turmeric for skin whitening. Lemon has skin-bleaching properties that will naturally lighten your skin. In addition, it also helps make the skin look more youthful and treats oily skin.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons lemon juice with 1 teaspoon turmeric.
- Apply an even layer on the skin and leave the mix on for about 20 minutes.
- Afterward, rinse the paste off with water, making sure to use gentle circular motions.
- Do this process twice a week, ideally before going to bed.
Turmeric and Honey
- Blend 2 teaspoons of honey with ¼ teaspoon turmeric.
- Next, spread an even layer all over your skin.
- Leave the mixture on for about 30 minutes.
- Afterward, rinse everything off with lukewarm water.
- Make sure to do this treatment three times a week.
Turmeric and Cucumber
- Combine 2 teaspoons of cucumber juice and ¼ teaspoon of turmeric in a small bowl.
- Spread an even coat all over the skin and gently massage for about 5 minutes.
- Leave the mask on for about 1 hour.
- When the time is up, rinse off completely with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this procedure 2-3 times a week to get naturally radiant and glowing skin.